SNMP port is used for managing ip devices like computers, switchers, servers, ip video cameras, basically all ip devices that are connected to a network. The snmp or simple network management protocol is composed of a few computers with main task of managing ip hosts on the network.
The SNMP port number is 161 and it uses the UDP protocol. On a snmp network there are three components:
1. Managed device;
2. Agent, this is the software that is on the managed device;
3. NMS – network management system , this is the software that runs on the manager.
SNMP protocol has the following routine:
– GetRequest: this command is used by the manager to retrieve a value of a variable or a list of variables from the agent;
– SetRequest: this commend is used by the manager to change the value of a variable from the agent;
– GetNextRequest: this command is used by the manager to get available variables from the agent;
– GetBulkRequest: this command is used by the manager when he want to use GetNextRequest for several times;
– Response: this is the acknowledgement of the agent at a manager command;
– Trap response from agent to manager;
– Inform Request: asynchronous acknowledgement from agent to manager or manager to manager.
If you want to change the snmp port settings the following steps need to be taken:
1. Check the snmp port 161 used for general message to see if he functions correct;
2. The default snmp port for trap messages is 162; check to test his functionality;
3. If one of this snmp ports are used by another device then change them by using the local service file located on the agent ; the root to this file is: % SystemRoot %System32Drivers…..